So on this page I’ll address a number of questions. Not just questions I get asked, but questions I see other artists searching for answers to.
- Yes, I do commissions. Most artists do.
2. How do you charge for commissions?
- The formula I use is an hourly rate + cost of materials + shipping or delivery (gas) x hours invested + sales tax (5.3% in Virginia).
- My base hourly rate is $11/hour (this is my base bottom hourly pay rate at my day job).
- yes, paintings/illustrations/logos may cost more
EX for commission:
- $11/hr x 5 hours + materials (lets say $50) + delivery (50 mi round trip, let’s say gas is $3/gallon, roughly 2 gallons of gas in my car) + sales tax = 55 +50 +6= 111 x 5.3% sales tax = $169
- Occasionally I offer discounts, usually if you’re a friend, family member, repeat customer. Sometimes I offer discounts to first-time customers since first impressions are really important and I want you to shop with me again.
- I require a price to be agreed upon and 50% up front. I also ask that you sign a written contract for my services. I’ve been stiffed too many times to cut you a break. If you don’t have the money, you weren’t serious to begin with and you either don’t value my work or don’t think it’s worth the money I’m asking.
- I require the remaining balance to be paid upon delivery.
- I insure all my packages and provide tracking numbers. Don’t try to tell me you never received it. I will call you on your BS.
- I will deliver in person locally, if I know you (50 mile round trip, maximum)
- I will not deliver to private residences, I’ve seen too many horror movies to trust you.
- Want it delivered locally, I will meet you in a well lit, public place.
- Don’t be a creeper. Seriously, no matter how desperate I am for money, my personal safety always comes first and if you raise my internal alarm bells, you can be damn sure I won’t deliver to you again.
7. Services Rendered?
My background is in fine art, my degree is in printmaking and drawing:
- tattoos/ tattoo flash
- occasionally mixed media collage pieces
- occasionally hand bound books (lot of work, lot of money).
my passion is for crafts:
- pattern drafting
- I love the creative atmosphere that collaborating fosters. I will be more than happy to work with you on a project.
9. Do you share trade secrets?
- depends on what it is, I’m more than happy to offer suggestions but I won’t blatantly spell out for you how/ why I do something the way I do. Again, dishonest people in this world have taken credit for work I’ve done. I’ve got to protect myself and my interests, first and foremost and I don’t need to see you posting my work to deviantart or instagram as your own.
10. What about materials?
- I’m more than happy to tell you what materials I use and where I get them.
Got a question? Don’t hesitate to ask.